BEEKEEPING FOR BEGINNERS 2014 – NH & VT
Greenfield, NH – Sundays 1:00pm – 4:00pm: 3/9, 4/13, 5/4, 6/8, 7/13, 9/14
Swanzey, NH – Saturdays 9:00am – Noon: 3/22, 4/19, 5/24, 6/21, 7/26, 9/20
Guilford, VT – Sundays 1:00pm – 4:00pm: 3/16, 4/27, 5/18, 6/22, 7/20, 9/21
We meet once a month: March, April, May, June, July & September
$30/Class = Total $180, or prepay for $150 for all 6 Classes (1 Class for Free)
This complete series of classes will help guide you through the steps necessary to begin, keep
and maintain healthy bees. Everyone participating in the course will receive introductory instruction
and recommendations for starting your own apiary, and most importantly hands-on experience.
MARCH & APRIL – INTRODUCTION, HIVE MATERIALS, OVERVIEW FOR THE YEAR
- Apiary Location Requirements
- Apiary Site Discussion
- Clothing Recommendations
- Feeding Your Bees
- Building Hive & Frame
- Installing your Package of Bees
- Introduction & Overview
- Keeping a Notebook - manual or computer
- Maintaining Healthy Bees/Medication
- Opening & Inspection of Hives
- Predators & Loss Prevention
- Electric Fencing & Other Products
- Purchasing Used Equipment +/-
- Smokers & Fuel
- Tools & Equipment
FIRST BEES ARRIVE LATE APRIL-MAY or MID-MAY: We do have bees & suggest that you order them ASAP.
MAY – SPRING & SUMMER MANAGEMENT
- Spring Management Summary
- Swarms - "Bee" prepared!
- In the Hive - Proper Technique
- Visiting the Hives
JUNE – SUMMER & FALL MANAGEMENT
- Summer & Fall Management Summary
- What do we see in the hive ... Swarm?
- Reversing Hive Bodies
- Preparing NUCs for Next Spring
JULY – FALL MANAGEMENT – Feed your bees…
- Honey Supers & Preparing to Harvest
SEPTEMBER – EXTRACTING & WINTER PREPARATION & YEAR IN REVIEW – Question & Answer
- Winter Management Expectations
- Proper use of Honey Extractor
- To medicate or not to medicate?
- Extracting & Bottling Honey
If there is enough interest: Fall Pot Luck – Beekeeper's Reunion
Weather permitting; each class will consist of a visit to the hives. You should bring along or wear light-colored loose fitting clothing with long sleeves. Socks and shoes are recommended, no shorts, open-toed sandals, or short socks please.
Register early as classes fill quickly…
To Register Contact: Dean & Jodi Turner, 283 Matthews Road, Swanzey, NH 03446
Email: email@example.com Phone: (603) 381-1717